Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Explanatory Synthesis Notes

In my synthesis essay i will be explaining why our culture is so obsessed with appearances. I have an article about why we look in the mirror so often. I will be discussing bullying, society's idea of beauty and how that affects how we view ourselves and why we try so hard to look a certain way.I'll discuss some statistics on the workplace and how being more attractive may help with advancements & how this connects back to us being obsessed with the way we look. I'm going to talk about how media reinforces this idea. And the effects on our society if we were forced not to care about our appearances so much.

My first source has some statistics about how more attractive get treated better in the workplace, etc. It lists reasons why physical attractiveness is so important to us and this is exactly where i want to go with my paper so i know this will be beneficial. 

My second source is a video about amish life. How they live without societal standards affecting their everyday life.

My final source is an article about bullying. This will help me discuss my point on how people are bullied because their outcasts- but why are they outcasts? because they don't fit societal standards or they try to hard. But they try to hard because they want to fit into societys expectations and this causes them to still be bullied. They are trying so hard to get away from it but the more they try the worse it gets. Round this out to how we want to look good we care to much about others opinions and it only gets us in trouble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment