Monday, March 21, 2016

Reflection on how far my writing has come since high school

All before high school i was told how good of a writer i was. I won awards at a young age, but in high school, something changed. I got C's on my papers and i never knew why. I tried to fix it, and i listened to all of the comments from my teachers but my grades never improved. Nothing about it was challenging, there was no encouragement in the writing department, it was all just flat. No one told me how to improve. I genuinely believe high school held me back. It was nowhere that my writing could grow. As soon as i got to college, my writing grades shot up again. My first college paper i got an 88%. The ones after i got 98% on each of them. I learned so much in the process. I felt that writing was important and not some random academic assignment i had to complete just like math homework. I was being challenging in the best way and learning so much along the road. My teacher taught me beneficial things that i applied to my writing and used to improve. It was amazing. I could feel how much I was learning. I loved writing my papers and seeing how far they went. I loved writing again. Now im in my second college writing class and i love it just as much. Im not doing as well but i know im learning. Each paper is a large challenge. And im still learning how to get my feet on the ground with these papers but i still feel how much im learning & i can feel that what im learning is not for nothing. I believe i did so bad in high school because writing was just for a letter grade. College has shown me (again) how to improve and gotten me excited about the works i produce. Its still a struggle, but i know i can get my writing skills where i want them to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment